Saturday, December 16, 2006

2006 Removing the Veil part 2


close up of 2006 Removing the Veil Oil on Canvas. 6" X 8". 12" X 16" overall.

My work moves in multi dimensions. As my canvases evolve objects appear, things are manifest through the process and as they are I look to let them exist as I seek to complete the cohesive composition I set out to create. I used to ignore and paint them out. But now I finally understand that it is these beautiful little details that occur out of my organic process that are the creative Spirits gift to me and in turn my gift to the world. It is in this that I truly realize my connection to art and my purpose for being.

I find myself in the lineage of many great artists and often feel like I am walking with Giants. One of them being Max Ernst a German Surrealist and Dada artist. "He reworked his diary until his death, seeking to extend consciousness into the regions of inspiration. He once described his work as "an attempt to conquer the last great myth of civilization, the myth surrounding the creative process"... He continues, "In striving more and more to restrain my own active participation in the unfolding of the picture and, finally, by widening in this way the active part of the mind's hallucinatory faculties, I came to exist as spectator at the birth of all my works."

Well you can only imagine how these words hit me. It is as if he said them to me, for me. And that is what I mean by my connection and purpose for being. I believe that I am here as a temporal being to keep this Spirit alive in our world so that others that come after me have a better understanding, another road map to follow for inspiration and understanding. That is what I believe to be our greatest purpose and gift as artists.

I can only hope that somehow I can gain support of enough others to allow me to paint full time. I know that it will take this in order to fully realize and develop my work to it's full potential. And without more sales I can't quit my day job as I have to provide for my family. So, I am considering offering shares of my work so you could get a print and a percentage of ownership without a huge investment. If you are reading this and are interested in helping me, please see my web site or contact me directly. Thank you.

No comments: