Tuesday, December 26, 2006

2006 Inktomi 1 part 4


close up of 2006 Inktomi Oil on Canvas. 6" X 8". 12" X 16" overall. Christmas holiday is over and now back to the grind at least for most.

Because I believe that my gift, my talent and my inspiration are Spiritual gifts. Granted to me. I approach my work, with great seriousness, reflection, exuberance, focus, passion and a true purpose. I also expect a high level of excellence in craftsmanship out of myself. I do this out of respect for my gifts. I feel I must approach my artistic endeavors with a great deal of respect. Each act of creation for me is a celebration of my gifts.

I have found that although one can learn much academically about art, art theory, and technique, one can not learn to be creative, nor can one learn to be inspired. This series of work is all outcome of my desire to remove my conscious self from the creative process and let the work develop and be born out of the process. In much the same way I believe that Max Ernst did back at the turn of the 20th century. In his artistic works, Ernst attempts to uncover the mysteries of the creative process within himself. Seeking to extend consciousness into the regions of inspiration. He once described his work as an attempt to conquer the last great myth of civilization, the myth surrounding the creative process. He shared this aim with Andre Breton, the ideological leader of surrealism.

Breton called on artists to expend all their efforts in the study of what he believed to be the most complex mechanism of all, artistic inspiration. Ernst wrote, "Thanks to studying enthusiastically the mechanism of inspiration, the surrealists have succeeded in discovering certain essentially poetic processes whereby the plastic work's elaboration can be freed from the sway of the so-called conscious faculties".

It is a difficult and sometimes contrary road to walk. But I am driven to follow my heart and inspiration. That's me. rjk

No comments: