Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Stuggle Continues part 1


close up of 2006 The Struggle Continues Oil on Canvas. 4" X 5". 8" X 10" overall.


This series of work is all outcome of my desire to remove my conscious self from the creative process and let the work develop and be born out of the process. In much the same way I believe that Max Ernst did back at the turn of the 20th century. In his artistic works, Ernst attempts to uncover the mysteries of the creative process within himself. Seeking to extend consciousness into the regions of inspiration. He once described his work as an attempt to conquer the last great myth of civilization, the myth surrounding the creative process. He shared this aim with Andre Breton, the ideological leader of surrealism.

Breton called on artists to expend all their efforts in the study of what he believed to be the most complex mechanism of all, artistic inspiration. Ernst wrote, "Thanks to studying enthusiastically the mechanism of inspiration, the surrealists have succeeded in discovering certain essentially poetic processes whereby the plastic work's elaboration can be freed from the sway of the so-called conscious faculties.

I am more than a one dimensional artist. I have always had broad interests in my creative studies and throughout my life. While I was in school one of the things I remember was being criticized for having to many branches and not a big enough trunk... Basically because I wanted to research and study many different styles and philosophies to broaden my experience and understanding I was thought to be less focused. Perhaps even less successful than I could be. But, that is their lie, not mine! Now, nearly thirty years later my vision is sharpening and much more focused and unique because for the path I took. The journey has been long and difficult, but I am certain it was and is the right path for my creative evolution.

I believe in this way I can truly express myself, my inner vision, my unique view of the world around me. Otherwise, I mainly find myself recreating or trying to represent something that already exists. As I look to exercise my right to the freedom of self expression to it's fullest potential. And to me the way to do that is to get my conscious mind out of the way and let my deeper inner thoughts arise. Using my eyes, hands and skills to bring them forth into this world. That's the lie I wish to believe, the lie I live. rjk

No comments: